StreamText is a third-party streaming text platform. Similar to TypeWell's Web Linking service, the text is sent from the TypeWell Transcriber program to the StreamText web server. Readers can then view the live transcript in a webpage provided by StreamText.Net.
As with Web Linking, no special software is required on the reader's device; any web browser will suffice. However, the TypeWell transcriber (or Connect writer) must install an extra application on their computer that serves as a bridge between the TypeWell software and the third-party server.
Some benefits and features provided by this alternative platform may include:
- Reader's ability to highlight text or type notes directly into the same webpage as the live transcript.
- Integration with online meeting services such as Zoom, Adobe Connect Pro, Cisco WebEx, Blackboard, etc.
- The StreamCast app can be used to overlay the captions during on-screen presentations, which is useful for conferences and other events
NOTE: StreamText requires admins to create an account and pay (by the minute) for the use of this streaming text service. TypeWell's streaming text service (i.e., Web Linking) is included with any Premium Transcriber or Connect software subscription. StreamText.Net and TypeWell are separate entities.
For more information about StreamText pricing and the features listed above, please visit their website directly: StreamText.net
Download and install the latest version of the StreamText Connector program
StreamText Connector is a separate software program developed by StreamText.Net and available from their website. Once installed, the StreamText Connector program needs to be configured to communicate with the TypeWell software (explained below).
Configure StreamText Connector to communicate with the TypeWell software
In StreamText Connector on the writer's (transcriber's) computer:
- Writing Source should be "Com Port."
- Connection Settings should have valid StreamText account credentials (writer's email and password), and the Environment should be set to "Live."
- COM Port Number should be set to COM1, COM2, COM3, or COM4.
- When you click Connect and Write, the "Connected to server" status should change from False to True.
Configure TypeWell to communicate with StreamText Connector
- First, disable other linking methods that might be enabled under the TypeWell Link menu.
- Click the by StreamText option under the Link menu, and check the box to "Enable StreamText linking."
From the drop-down box, choose the same COM Port Number that you selected in StreamText Connector, then click OK.
Select Linking ON under the TypeWell Link menu.
- When TypeWell indicates "StreamText (linked)," the "COM Port Connected" status over in the StreamText Connector window should change from False to True.
Schedule and start an event through the StreamText.Net Admin Dashboard
- If you have not created a StreamText.Net account, you will need to complete this first by going to https://admin.streamtext.net/organizations/start and completing the form.
- Go to www.streamtext.net and click the Sign-In link in the upper right-hand corner. Enter the email address and password that you used when you created the account.
- If you have not added any writers to your account, click the Staff link on the left menu to add writers (identified by their email address).
- To schedule a new event, click on the Schedule Event link on the left menu.
- Many of the Event Information fields are optional. To get started, you only need to assign an Event name, the Writer for the event, and the Parsing format. To link with the TypeWell program, please choose TypeWell - StreamText Linking.
- Click Create Event.
Once the scheduled event is Started and TypeWell shows a linking status of "StreamText (Linked)", any text typed into the TypeWell program should be transmitted via the StreamText Connector program to the StreamText.Net server online. As you type in the TypeWell program, the "Bytes sent" value in the StreamText Connector should increase, indicating that data is being sent.
TIP: Remember to Stop the event when you are finished, to avoid unnecessary per-minute charges in your StreamText account.
- Is the scheduled event started in the StreamText Admin portal? This is required in order for the writer's text to appear in the StreamText reader page.
- Is the event assigned to the correct writer in the StreamText Admin portal? The writer (staff) email address in the scheduled event must match the credentials used to login to the StreamText Connector app.